Fantastic news today live at EMC World with SAP & VMware announcing SAP HANA for Production use on VMware!
We at EMC believe this represents a massive opportunity for multiple reasons:
1. Our SAP clients are on a Virtualization and Replatforming journey leveraging VMware for their SAP estates. Clients can now finally align their SAP HANA journey with their Virtualization & Software Defined Datacenter strategies.
2. As stated in previous blogs clients are focusing on “Deploying” & “Operationalizing” SAP HANA, and there is no better way to do this other than by deploying HANA on VMware in order to reduce TCO, improve Agility, and reduce Risk taking advantage of all the benefits VMware delivers including vSphere, vMotion, VMHA, DRS, SRM, VMware Snapshot capabilities!
3. In Pat Gelsinger’s keynote this morning he laid out the clear benefits of running SAP HANA on VMware in Production including
– Improved overall SLAs
– Faster Time-to-Market
– Lower TCO
Check out a 5 mins video section of Pat’s keynote with the announcement here and then take a guess who started clapping their hands in the beginning 🙂
The cool thing is that clients and partners get these benefits “right away”, which is why the announcement is so important from a support perspective.
We at EMC now have a greater story to help drive adoption of HANA in the “right way” for our SAP clients to align with SAP’s overall strategy. We now offer our clients to run HANA on the most flexible set of infrastructure offerings: Appliances, TDI and Virtual HANA, including the worlds best capabilities around Backup/Recovery & Disaster Tolerance from our Data Protection & Availability friends at EMC.
There are a ton of great write ups on this topic including EMC IT’s own BPC on Virtualized HANA with VMware in production, which has been live since Nov 2013. Yup….before it was officially supported by SAP & VMware. Our friends at EMC IT (including @putitonHANA @ReidTechBOS @peadarmurf @kenpaul @RyanArse35 and the rest of their crew) are just really good at Balancing Risk & Innovation breaking new grounds of innovation to provide value to their Business. Here is Bill Reid from EMC IT talking on the Cube about his BPC on HANA Virtual deployment interview.
Check out the PR announcement below as well as write ups on EMC’s Virtual HANA deployments:
– SAP & VMware Announce SAP HANA for Production Use on VMware vSphere 5.5
– EMC Pulse Blog by EMC IT’s Mike Harding
– Why EMC IT Virtualized SAP HANA with VMware™
Here are also two pictures from EMC World:
– Pat Gelsinger’s keynote announcing Virtual HANA Production Support
– Joe Tucci (EMC CEO) & Bill McDermott (SAP CEO) during Joe’s keynote